The Apothecary Pharmacy was first known as The Clinic Pharmacy and was founded in 1948. At that time a group of several physicians were planning to establish a new practice, which would include a pharmacy. This combined physician practice, along with a pharmacy in the clinic, was a relatively new concept in the late 1940’s. The clinic was established and named the Thompson-Brumm & Knepper Clinic (TBK) in downtown St. Joseph, at 902 Edmond St. Jack Foley was the pharmacist who was tasked by the clinic partners to establish The Clinic Pharmacy and prepare it for business. He was assisted by Arthur Berenson.
The pharmacy continued to operate under this name and ownership until 1980 when the TBK clinic was dissolved and Herb Woodbury purchased the business. It operated as Woodbury Pharmacy from 1980 to 1982. Midwestern Health Management was the buyer in 1982, and changed the name to The Apothecary. The business moved from 902 Edmond St. to the Methodist Medical Center. It operated there until it was sold in November of 2004 to David & Bernadine Stevenson, who moved the pharmacy to it’s current location at 1517 St. Joseph Avenue. In February of 2014 Paul & Tara Stevenson purchased the pharmacy and continue as owners today.